30 November 2012

Bake of the Week: Oreo Cupcakes


Earlier this week I decided to make Oreo cupcakes for the first time and I loved them so much I thought I'd share the recipe with you all.

When I was looking for a recipe for these cupcakes every recipe I found included a chocolate cake however I knew it was possible to make an Oreo cake so I decided to have a little play with ingredients and I loved the result.

The following recipe makes 12 cupcakes. I opted for six Oreo cakes and six chocolate cakes.

Oreo Cupcake Recipe 

You will need
  • 12 cupcake cases
  • Two six hole or one 12 hole muffin tray
  • Piping bag
Ingredients - for the cakes
  • 125g plain flour
  • 145g caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 40g unsalted butter
  • 125ml whole milk
  • 1 egg (mine was medium)
  • Few drops of vanilla extract
  • 5 crushed Oreo's // 20g high quality cocoa powder
Ingredients - for the icing
  • 300g icing sugar
  • 100g unsalted butter at room temperature 
  • Splash of whole milk
  • 6 crushed Oreo's 

Instructions 

1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees.

2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter into a large bowl and using an electric whisk, whisk until you create a sand like texture. You may find the butter doesn't break down as fine but that's not a problem. 

3. Place the milk, vanilla extract and the egg into a jug and slowly whisk by hand until well blended. 

4. Add half of the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Slowly add the remaining half of the milk mixture and whisk again until everything is well blended.

5. If you're making some Oreo cakes and some chocolate cakes, now is the time to split the mixture into two separate bowls.

6. Crush your Oreo biscuits - after viciously attacking a bag of Oreo's with a rolling pin on my kitchen floor I can confirm that this is not the best way to do it! Place your Oreo biscuits into a food processor and whizz until finely chopped. 

7. Place your crushed Oreo biscuits into one half of the cake mixture and stir until well combined. Place your cocoa powder into the remaining half of the mixture and stir to combine. 

8. Spoon your cake mixture into your cupcake cases and bake for 15-25 minutes. The chocolate cupcakes take 15 minutes whilst the Oreo cupcakes take 25 minutes so it's best to have two separate pans of six hole tins. Your cakes should be firm on the top but soft in the centre - do not over cook or they'll go hard.

9. Place your icing sugar, butter and a dash of milk into a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk to create your butter cream icing. My whisk decided to explode prior to this so I had to make the butter cream by hand which I don't recommend doing! 

10. Whizz your 6 Oreo biscuits in the food processor until finely ground and add them to your butter cream icing. Stir briskly to combine the two.

11. Fill a piping bag full of the icing and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

12. Top with mini, halved or crushed Oreo biscuits if you wish.

I hope that was easy to follow and I hope you enjoy making and eating these as much as I did. I made mine to take to work and they were very well received. The Oreo cakes are my personal favourites as they have a bit of crunch to them.

If you make these I'd love to see pictures or hear your baking experience.

Vicky x
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. This has just made me so hungry haha :) great post xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies. I can't read it back yet because I can smell dinner cooking and I'll end up even hungrier myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely need to try making these, they look amazing!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see the result if you do! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg these have made me hungry, they look so good! Love your blog, please take a look at mine :)
    www.whatbambidid.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Georgina, will look at your blog now x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig